Monday, December 20, 2010

Death Of A Better Man

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I don't mean for writing this blog, I mean in general.

I've finished university for the year. As in, the first term of university has been and gone. What do I have to show for it? A Macbook, a Web Premium suite for the Mac and the newest Guitar Hero game. Yes, it is a lovely thing.

Luckily I have finally finished the miserable module named Video Production. We finally gave in the final video project last Thursday, meaning all that's left is the dreaded evaluation essay. I mean, what am I supposed to write about? God, this module has just been one enormous patronising pain in the arse since the beginning.

The first day I went in to the lecture, I knew it wasn't going to be a fun module. One of the first things he asked us was who hasn't used a camera before? Because I had no idea what type of camera he meant - a camera they use in television shows, one that records on tape or one like a camera phone - I put my hands up. Then he asked me why I decided to do this module. He asked the same about who's edited video before. Again, I stuck my hand up (as the only editing I've done is on Movie Maker). He asked the same question, why are you doing this module?

I had the urge to go on a mad one. Well, not a mad one, more like a rather polite yet assertive one. First off, I didn't chose to do this module, it was more like an annoyance more than anything. Second of all, since this is the first year of the module it means that it's more of an introduction than anything else, so it is to be expected that most of us hadn't used cameras or edited video before. Grrr.

I'll be honest, I really do not understand why some people can be an artistic snob. Okay, I understand when they go in about the colours and all that jazz, but not when they compare the light to a passage from the dictionary. It makes no sense.

Meh.

In other news, I have three extensions for different assignments. Since my lecturer's wife gave birth to a baby, I have an extension that I badly needed for Internet Technology and Media for Applications. The other is because of the snow. Lovely.

So yeah, a few weeks after beginning university and all I have to show for it is a few assignments and a story about going to Hooters for the first time. Nice.

One thing I noticed mind, is that there's hardly any difference between university and school. In my class, there's a definite split between the popular people and the others, quite like the split that was in my year in school. There are lessons (even if they are called lectures, they are still lessons of sorts). The only major difference for me is that you have less time in university (seventeen hours in university compared to about thirty in school). Other than that, it's all the same. Maybe it is because I live at home.

So yeah, a term of university down, and I'm at that point in the year where I'm somewhat cut off from the world. As I see Christmas and the New Year just as an excuse to get urinated, I just stay away from it all, meaning that I lose touch with people who I actually like. Sometimes I hate my train of thought. Hang on, most of the time. Grr.

In other news, I kind of realised that the only reason I went to university is to avoid going into full time work. Well, that's not completely true. I did want a good education, but also I just saw it as the next stage of life. Since everyone in the sixth form were going on about going to university, so I did. I followed the higher education crowd. Maybe, it would've been a wiser decision to go to collage first and then university. Why? I don't feel mature enough for university. I still don't think I am.

I'll be honest, I apologise for the rather shite blog post. I shall leave you now.

- Devil May FIN

No comments: