Monday, February 28, 2011

Wish You Were Here

It's been a while since I talked about some meaningless drivel for you. And yes, I do mean university.

I have no idea if I mentioned this is another post, but I received two things for the first time. The first one being a fail. Yes, I failed an assignment for Video Production by five percent. Hopefully, I have scraped a pass with my evaluation essay and only have to re-edit the video.

The second thing that happened for the first time is the fact that I received my first first. Yes, I got seventy-two percent in an essay about capacitors and filters, which results in me receiving a first. Fuck yeah.

In other news, I'm starting to dislike the people in my course a lot. There's only like, five people who are decent (y'know, you can talk to without having the feeling that they're judging you). Sadly, only one of said five people (who I won't name, as you don't know them) is someone I hang around with. Shit. Anyway.

The majority of them are arrogant English people who think that Facebook and alcohol are kings of modern life. It's rather boring, to be honest. I doubt half the people in my class respect me, and I do believe it's because I'm Welsh. Well, something to do with being Welsh. I'm not playing the race card, but it does seem like some of those arrogant English people treat their fellow English folk differently to the Welsh people in the course.

A prime example is during Electronics, when an English girl was behaving like she would normally to her English friends (and to the ones who were not her friend), and the minute she comes over to me to ask to look at my results (I say ask, she just glanced at them) and said "thanks" in that mundane Anglo-American dud sound that pollutes the planet these days. Didn't even ask to look at them, just assumed that she can since she's "the only attractive girl in the class". Which is a bare faced lie. But then again, there's only three girls in my Electronics class, and I'm not continuing with that. Ha.

In other, more happy news, you know that I write a series for Wicid (and a bit for Clic) called Dear World? Well, during the residential, I was rather forced to enter the "staff room" by Wicid's part time Editor, Craig. I'm not sure if he's going to be editor of if he is just part time like Cat (the main editor).

Anyway, I entered the staff room to see Alex, the guy who owns (I believe) Burning Red (the company who designs the Clic websites), bringing a folder out of a bag. He hands me a book.

But, as you can probably guess, I hadn't seen this book before. I read the title - CLICannual 2011.

Craig told me to look at the contents, and what do I see? Well, apart from the contents of the annual. I see two words repeated in two places - Dear World.

Yes, two of my Dear World articles will appear in the first CLICannual - God and Nationality.

Somehow, the guys at Clic think that my articles are among the best in Clic. That's rather an odd thought. I hope I don't sound arrogant in saying that. I personally think that all the stuff I do writing wise is rather terrible. Well, that's exaggerating a bit, though I wouldn't be a hundred miles away if I stated that my writing is less than below average. The rest of the Clic annual is pure gold, mind. It's rather amazing what young people around Wales can do.

In other, less happy news, I went to Bristol Zoo with Wicid. I won't comment on the whole experience, as that article (written by the Editor of Wicid, with help of people who went too) well inform you with all the happenings of the day.

All I will say is, I don't like zoos.

It seems wrong, somehow. The first animal we saw properly was a lion (who we ended up adopting for a year via Wicid). Kamal, I think his name was. Well, either that or Keith (as some of the Wicid team called him). He looked depressed, and not because he was in Bristol. It just seemed wrong, keeping all these animals just for the entertainment of human boys and female girls. But then again, I may be wrong. Ah well, life, as some people say, goes on.

I shall end it here. This post, not my life. All I can say on that matter is that I'll never kill myself, or even self harm. But enough about my fucked up family.

- Never gonna FIN you up.

No comments: