Sunday, September 12, 2010

Into The Abyss I Will Run

I would like to begin by saying that this is my ninety-first blog post. Ninety-one posts in just over two years. That is rather mad. I may not post as often when I begin the road to science bachelorism, but then again, its me. There's a big possibility that I will.

Right, so what is this abyss? Well, its obvious, isn't it? Yes, I'm going to have intercourse with my long-term girlfriend tomorrow for the first time, and she has warned me that she has been compared to a wizard's sleeve. Ha, I fool you. I have no girlfriend, and I'll never have intercourse. Oh, what a web of laughter I have threaded in front of your very eyes indeed.

No, the abyss I am talking about is university. Okay, it is not an abyss, it's not an infinite amount of time, nor is it that I am going to be stuck in the atrium of education for a lifetime and a third (see what I did there? Brilliant...). But since I had a Disturbed song in my head, it kind of linked...

I just remembered (well, not just remembered, but go along with me) that I don't need much in the subject of stationary for my course. While some need endless books, countless pencils and the odd thing and that. But with me, from what I remember from the interview for my course, all I'd need is an external hard drive. That's it. A block of portable memory. Hey, I could probably get away with having about ten percent of the hard drive for my other stuff (ie, music, my songs I've done, ect) and the rest for university. Bonza, I'm a-ready. =].

Okay, it's obvious that I'd need more than a hard drive for my studies. I would need things for writing notes and that. Maybe I'm supposed to draw designs for stuff before I actually computerize them. Who knows. But there's something that has made me question my choice of course...

For this question, I shall take three specimen (well, they are friends, but carry on).

- Specimen one is studying French.
- Specimen two is studying History.
- Specimen three is studying Chemistry.
- And then I am studying Creative Technologies.

Okay, looking at those four courses, my course does sound, and I quote from a friend here, rather epic. But there is one thing that might separate my course from the other courses.

Take the first specimen. French. In three years, whatever they are studying will still be relevant in ten years. Bonjour will always mean good day, and bonbon will always be a goodgood name for a biscuit. In History, you can't change the past. Whatever happened centuries ago will always be that. In chemistry, a chemical reaction between sodium chloride and magnesium oxide will be the same in ten years as it will be in ten days...

But, what about the web? What about graphics?

During my interview day, the course leader stated that I (and the other students in the course) will learn how to code websites in the first month of studying there. But what are the chances of another coding technique that will make CSS, HTML and other types obsolete? Compared to the other courses that I listed above, I am studying a relatively young course, so it is susceptible to change. I mean, look how the look of websites have changed over the past ten years.

But, it kind of makes me happier that I've decided to study a young course. Why? Well, the tutors of the courses named might be somewhat set in their ways. Everything is set for them, and all they need to do is rewash their material for the next year and the next set of students. When, for my course, everything could change in a matter of months. I mean, look at how smartphones have landed onto the scene. Okay, there are some things that I could well study (such as basic radio and video) will more or less stay like that for a good few years, but there will be vast changes in this digital world. And I'm going to study it. Get in.

Oh, and before I carry on, I was not trying to belittle, or to make fun of those specimen who are studying Chemistry, French or History. I only used them as examples.

In other news, MKII is on her way to her baptism, and she said she's fine with me not going. I just hope MkII doesn't get the hump now.

Oh, I also have a new song up on my SoundCloud. =]. Its called Black Box, and it is the first one in a while where I have written the solo to. If you fancy it, could you listen and let me know what you think of this song? Especially the solo. =].

Song Six - Black Box. by CrazyDistortion

Well, that's it really.

- Run away, run away. Out of FIN.

No comments: